We Translate On Time

Getting a certified translation of a criminal record

July 31st, 2020

Why would I need my criminal record translated?

When moving overseas to seek new professional or personal opportunities, for example beginning a new business venture, entering higher education or applying for a job, a criminal record might be required. This information may be requested when acquiring a visa or by a new employer. In this case, it is vital that you receive a certified translation that will be accepted by the appropriate authorities. 

How do I get hold of my criminal record? 

To receive an official copy of your criminal record, you must request a copy from the police or local authorities so check the government website in your country. In Portugal, for example, you can follow this link and request a copy: https://eportugal.gov.pt/en/servicos/pedir-o-certificado-de-registo-criminal-de-pessoas-singulares or if you are from the UK, use this link: https://www.gov.uk/copy-of-police-records.

How do I get a certified translation? 

After obtaining your record, you can get a certified translation from a translation agency. The translation agency should provide a certificate of accuracy and both the translated and original document – both of which are usually required by official authorities. 

Some countries may ask for an authenticated or Apostille-certified translation (in countries belonging to the 1961 Hague Convention) which the translation agency should be able to help with, so it is worth checking with the relevant authorities.

Who can help?

It is vital that you choose a professional translation agency to avoid delays and mishaps when translating a criminal record. We Translate On Time is here to help and can provide an accurate and reliable translation, as well as authentication by a lawyer and an Apostille. 



by Henrietta Body